Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Lock 'em up!!!!!!!

Today I went with one of my students on a fourth grade field trip. We went to The Old Idaho State Penitentiary. We got to see an evolution of prison life and buildings. In Idaho City there is a log cabin type jail cell. Then they built a sand stone type building here. After a while the buildings had to get bigger and bigger. It is unbelievable to me that this prison was used up until 1973, when a riot burned two buildings. Now it is a museum.












The prisoners were self sufficient with their building materials, and food. They quarried stone from the hills, and had orchards and farms. Pretty neat. And nice not to be such a burden on society.

It was a fun day. But I don't think I really need to go there with the girls. Maybe the botanical gardens that are in front of the jail. That would be much more fun!



2 comments:

Angela said...

I enjoyed my family "field-trip" to the penetentry. I too, think it amazing how much work went into those structures. My kids enjoyed visiting the various buildings and read some of the life stories of the inmates. I'm glad you too, had the opportunity to go. It is an interesting place to visit, and I agree, the Botanical Gardens are beautiful. See you in the morning :)

Angela said...

okay, being that I work at a school, I better correct my spelling. PENITENTIARY, not penetentry. (Hey, it's midnight)